SUPERIOR, Wis. – For the second time in three days, Minnesota Morris and UW-Superior met on the women’s soccer pitch. Saturday’s game ended the regular season and Monday’s contest opened UMAC postseason play. The game could not be decided through two 45-minute sessions nor two 10-minute overtimes with neither team scoring. Penalty kicks decided a winner and it was UW-Superior who came out victorious, 5-4, in a UMAC quarterfinal contest.

UW-Superior advances to face St. Scholastica in the UMAC semifinals Wednesday while the Cougars’ season comes to a close.

The Cougars had three scoring chances in the first half, but all three were saved by UWS’ goalkeeper Madison Gutekunst. They then outshot the Yellowjackets 11-3 in the second half, but again, nothing was able to get into the net. UMM held a 16-9 advantage in total shots and 8-4 edge in shots on goal. Bailey Tschida made saves on all four shots she faced throughout the 110 minutes.

Even the penalty kick-shootout needed extra time as the teams were tied at four a piece through five attempts. UWS connected on their sixth try, while UMM’s attempt hit the crossbar, ending the contest.

Minnesota Morris ends their season with a 6-10-1 record.

MORRIS, Minn. – An exciting UMAC men’s soccer quarterfinal contest needed penalty kicks to decide a winner after Crown and Minnesota Morris dueled to a 2-2 tie through 110 minutes at the Cougar Soccer Field. Crown outscored Minnesota Morris, 4-2, in penalty kicks to advance to the next round of the UMAC playoffs.

After a scoreless first half, action picked up in the second half. Crown got on the scoreboard first in the 64th minute. UMM’s Aaron Wackerfuss quickly countered and tied the game at 1 in the 72nd minute on a rebound attempt off the Crown goalie.

In the 80th minute, Jake Alessio led Tristan Balk on a nice crossing pass that he drilled into the right side of the net for the 2-1 UMM lead.

The Cougars maintained their one-goal edge in the closing minutes. In the final minute, Crown’s Storm Heyer connected on his second goal of the afternoon as he scored a goal off a loose ball into the left side of the net.

UMM came out firing in the first overtime session. Shots from Alessio and John Hoff were saved by Crown goalkeeper Eli Etzel. Three other Cougar chances were high.

It remained tied through the second overtime session and the game needed to be decided by penalty kicks where Crown gained the 4-2 win. Crown advances to face UW-Superior Wednesday in a UMAC semifinal contest.

Minnesota Morris ends the season with a 6-11-4 overall record.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here