According to the 2019 Minnesota Seat Belt Survey, 93.4 percent of Minnesotans are buckling up in the front seat, but only 79 percent of front seat occupants are wearing their seat belts in West Central Minnesota. West Central law enforcement will be joining with 300 agencies across the state for the Click It or Ticket extra seat belt enforcement campaign which starts today and runs through September 28. The Click It or Ticket campaign is a component of the state’s Toward Zero Deaths program.
For those not choosing to buckle up, the State Patrol says the results are hurting families across Minnesota.
- In the last five years, 18 children ages 0-7 have been killed in car crashes with only 39 percent of them being properly restrained.
- In the last five years, of the 17,237 children ages 0-7 that were properly restrained, 87 percent were not injured.
- Law enforcement cited 1,442 drivers in 2018 for failing to properly restrain their children.
- In 2018, 96 unbelted motorists lost their lives on Minnesota roads.
- Law enforcement cited 34,748 unbelted motorists in 2018, compared with 54,856 citations in 2014.