MINNEAPOLIS — Miguel Sanó was among the four players in the Twins’ 60-man player pool who tested positive for COVID-19 ahead of Summer Camp, Minnesota announced on Saturday. He joins Willians Astudillo and Minor League players Edwar Colina and Nick Gordon in being sidelined with the virus as camp gets underway at Target Field.
Sanó and Astudillo both tested positive as part of this week’s intake process at Target Field. Both are said to be asymptomatic and in quarantine in Minnesota. They will continue to undergo regular testing until they achieve two consecutive negative tests, at which point they could be cleared to return to the team.
Those four were the only positive tests among players expected to report to camp. All other members of the camp roster have cleared the intake protocol, per a team spokesman, except for Byron Buxton and Cody Stashak, who remain in their home locations on paternity leave.
This marks tough news for Sanó in particular, as the slugger is continuing his transition to a new position at first base in camp due to the offseason acquisition of Josh Donaldson. He also had plenty of positive momentum to build on from last season, which he began on the injured list but turned around with a career-high 34 homers in 105 games after a rigorous offseason of conditioning.
“I think it’s very honest to say that our guys that aren’t here are disappointed to not be here,” manager Rocco Baldelli said. “Both have worked really hard. They’re ready to get on the field. They know their buddies are out here and taking part. But we basically just know that we have to deal with this, we have to do it responsibly.”
Baldelli planned to speak with both Sanó and Astudillo on Saturday afternoon.
Sanó, 27, signed a three-year, $30 million extension with a fourth-year club option this past offseason. He was working out at home in the Dominican Republic during the three-plus months of baseball’s hiatus due to the pandemic.
Colina and Gordon both remain in Florida as they await clearance to return to the team. President of baseball operations Derek Falvey said Friday that Colina had already cleared a subsequent test.